A Brief History of Emmanuel Lutheran Church
- 1914 - There was no Lutheran congregation in what is now known as the Colorado River valley.
- 1915 - 1943 - Two Pastors held a service on Good Friday with their families and a couple others in attendance. The first conformation class was confirmed. Circuit pastors had to journey to the area by train, wagon, or by foot, depending on the condition of the roads. The services were initially held in private homes and later at the Antlers and Horn schoolhouses.
- 1943 - The first resident pastor was installed and held services at Glenwood Springs and Rifle, using the Methodist churches in both locations. Over the next decade several pastors served both congregations.
- 1950 - The first organizational meeting took place to name the church as Emmanuel Lutheran Church. Officers were installed.
- 1953 - Ground breaking ceremonies were held for a permanent House of Worship on Daniel Street in west Rifle.
- 1953 - On December 24th the first Christmas Eve Service and a Children's Program was held. Ninety were in attendance.
- 1954 - 1989 Emmanuel existed as a mission congregation and was faithfully served by several pastors from Holy Cross in Glenwood Springs.
- 1989 - The first service was held in the new house of God on East 5th Street in Rifle on Christmas Eve.
- 1990 - Service of Dedication took place one month later.
- 1998 - A new addition to Emmanuel was completed which holds the fellowship hall, meeting and classrooms. This is where the preschool is located.
- 1999 - The commercial kitchen was completed and is used to this day for events.
- 1999 - Emmanuel Lutheran Preschool began.
Read the full journey of Emmanuel from 1914-today.